What is LEGO Serious Play
Dissatisfied with the results of internal strategy sessions, LEGO set out to improve their sets and build a methodology for workshop facilitation. It took over 20 iterations, and the result is LEGO Serious Play. It is an engaging way to unlock ideas, and collaborate on problems, by giving participants an equal share of voice in a safe environment.
The Benefits of Using LEGO
Our hands are controlled by the most number of neural networks in the brain. This is a museum exhibit showing the proportion of the brain that controls your hands, respective to other parts of the body. Fiddling with our hands actually gets our thought juices flowing.
LEGO Serious Play Ground Rules
There are several ground rules with LEGO Serious Play
- Firstly, there are no “correct” or “incorrect” models, only different perspectives.
- Participants ask questions about the models built, not about the people who built them.
- Everyone has a chance to explain their models and participate.
LEGO Serious Play and Modern Agile Values
LEGO Serious Play meshes perfectly with at least 2 Modern Agile Values – “Make People Awesome”, and “Make Safety a Prerequisite”. Through building models, participants get to express themselves, and listen to different perspectives, all in a safe environment. People get to learn from one another, and often integrate other perspectives into theirs through building group models.
Uses of LEGO Serious Play in Agile Workshops
We’ve used LEGO Serious Play for:
- Agile Team Lift-Offs
- Agile Project Inceptions
- Sprint Retrospectives
- Kicking off a Chapter
- Creating a strategy
- Reflecting on a certain time period
- Conflict Resolution
- Team Building
Examples of LEGO Serious Play Models
Strategy and Brainwriting
Want to know more?
We’d be very happy to run a LEGO Serious Play workshop for you. The agenda and activities are tailored to your needs. We use a bag of visual facilitation techniques combined with LEGO Serious Play, to bring out the best outcomes.
Teamworx LEGO Serious Play Facilitator Training
We offer a 1-day in-house training course to enable leaders in your organisation to use the methodology. We can deliver this training for 10-20 participants.
LEGO Serious Play Certification
LEGO Serious Play is an open-source methodology available via the Creative Commons licence. As LEGO themselves do not offer formal certification, it is important to find a trainer who understands the nuances of LEGO Serious Play. As Teamworx trainers use LEGO Serious Play regularly, they have the hours under the belt to read between the lines, and deliver a successful workshop.
As part of the training, all participants receive a Teamworx LEGO Serious Play Facilitator Certificate.
We will take you through:
- The theory and science behind LEGO Serious Play
- The “Skills Build”
- An individual challenge
- A group challenge
- A simulated workshop for participants to practise the methodology in their own groups using a customised topic of your organisation’s choice
All participants will receive:
- PDF Version of the Teamworx LEGO Serious Play course material
- Colour printed copy of the LEGO Serious Play Creative Commons guide
- 1 Window Exploration kit per participant (these take 1 month to arrive from UK – you are encouraged to book early)